History

In 1981, under the leadership of our six founding elders a group of about forty adults left a denominational church and began holding worship services known as the original name:  The Cornerstone.  The goal of this group was to establish a local fellowship in which:

  • The Word of God would be treated with high seriousness and would be preached and taught at all services as the source of God’s wisdom.
  • Believers would be free to worship the Lord as led by the Holy Spirit rather than as directed by denominational traditions and authorities.
  • Believers would be encouraged to care for one another as brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ.
  • Believers would be encouraged to share the Good News of Jesus Christ that others might be brought to a saving relationship with the Lord.

Five of the founding elders were ordained. The sixth founding elder, Lawrence A. Garvey, became pastor of The Cornerstone and later renamed it to The Cornerstone Community Church.  The first service was held on July 5, 1981, in the garage of the church’s parsonage on State Road 9 just outside of Summitville, Indiana.  Later that winter a house at the corner of SR 9 and 1600 North was purchased and renovated to serve as a church building.  The first service at this new location was held on Easter Sunday, 1982.  In 1992, the church purchased an existing church building located at 2049 W. 1300 N, Alexandria, Indiana.  On Easter of 1992, the first service was held at that new location.  Pastor Lawrence Garvey served as Senior Pastor of the church from 1981 to December 31, 2002.

Randy A. Murphy is the second Pastor of the Cornerstone Community Church, called by God, ordained and installed by the Founding Pastor and the other Elders on December 29, 2002.  Thus, there is a direct continuity from Pastor Murphy, through the ministry of denominationalism and to move into the freedom believers have in Jesus Christ, the freedom to worship under the leadership of the Holy Spirit.  Pastor Randy Murphy assumed the Senior Pastor position at Cornerstone on January 1, 2003.  With the 15 remaining members of Cornerstone Church by his side, Pastor Murphy began his pastorate.  God has continually built His church and adds to it daily those who are being saved.  Our growth has been miraculous, in which we give God all the Glory.  Due to the growth of the church, in August of 2004, Pastor Murphy and the Board of Elders agreed to purchase the current facility located at 1010 North Park Avenue, Alexandria, Indiana, The first service was held on Sunday, August 29, 2004.  In May of 2007, the church purchased property north of the current facility for yet more room to expand for the future.  The church is currently 150 people.